Sulur is a vibrant suburb of Coimbatore on the arterial road to Trichy (National Highway) and is the entrance to Coimbatore from south Tamil Nadu.A Taluk with a population of over 30,000 (Census: 2011), Sulur is a pleasant town which borders Coimbatore city as well as Tirupur. Sulur is situated on the banks of Noyyal River.
The twin lakes to the north of the town, bounding the Coimbatore-Nagapattinam highway adds a scenic view to the town. Sulur has a 110 bedded Multispecialty Hospital run by Kovai Medical Centre and Hospital (KMCH).It is a specialised centre for trauma and emergency care with state-of-the-art equipment. The Royal Care multi – speciality Hospital is on the L&T Bypass Road at a distance of 9 kms (15 mins)
Sulur is already bustling with a large population including from the Indian Air Force, Educational Institutions (18 colleges and 20 schools), Hospitals and Senior Citizens.
Sulur is going to be future of Coimbatore for the following reasons:
- It is a popular location for Textile mills and weaving slots providing employment to over 15,000 people.
- It is closer to Tirupur, which is world famous for hosiery and knitwear.
- It has a large Airforce base which is under expansion to house the first indigenously manufactured Aircrafts (Tejas LCA).
- According to Newspaper reports, Sulur will also house as a large ammunition dump for the IAF. The existing runway is also reportedly being augmented by an additional runway.
- Sulur is also part of the Coimbatore – Trichy Defence Corridor. Already notice (GO) has been given for land acquisition between Sulur and Palladam on Trichy Road NH67. For defence industries to be set up
- RVS Educational Institutions has 11 colleges ranging from Engineering, Dental, Arts & Science, Nursing, Management, etc. It has a large number of schools both for boys and girls.
- Sulur is well connected by Road network as well as Rail. It has a railway station named Sulur Road.
- There is a direct road connecting Sulur to Coimbatore International Airportat Peelamedu (Avinashi Road). The Airport is only 16 kms and is well connected by buses, cabs and cars. The travelling time by car is approximately 20 minutes.
- Sulur is a home to number of Temples.
- Sulur has a beautiful lake with boating facilities. Sulur Lake is also home for a large number of migratory birds.
- Royal Care Hospital is at a distance of 9 kms (18 mins traveling time)
- It takes only 12 minutes to hit the L & T Bypass Road.
- Sulur has a good motorable road from Pappampatti Pirivu to Palakkad, Kerala. One can also use the L &T bypass road to go to Kerala and Chennai without entering Coimbatore
The Defence Innovation Hub has been sanctioned to CODISSIA by Govt of India to operate at a cost of Rs 20 crores already. A Defence Aero Park by the State Government and Aerospace by Govt of India Have been planned in Sulur.
Tamil Nadu Defence Corridoris being created in the five nodal cities such as Chennai, Trichy, Salem, Coimbatore and Hosur.
Due to the above mentioned reasons, Sulur will become a very importantSatellite city of Coimbatore with good infrastructure, educational institutions, Airforce, Hospitals and other social infrastructure. Coimbatore needs to grow outwards towards its SBD. Sulur offers the best opportunity especially because of the social infrastructure available already
Covai Ultra Retirement Community is at Kannampalayam, Sulur.
Ms Bhuvana Iyer